Monday, March 6, 2017

Vintage Needlepoint Spotted in the Wild UPDATED

Meg saw these three vintage needlepoint pieces at the Ringling Brothers Circus owners' home, Ca’ d’Zan, located in Sarasota, Florida.  There is a huge six panel screen, a pair of matching upholstered chairs and a card table.  The chair behind the card table may or may not be needlepoint.  I cannot tell.  Use the side arrows to see everything.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154458930203212&set=pcb.1276438349099987&type=3&theater

Thanks, Meg!

UPDATE: By coincidence, this morning a friend sent me this very well written explanation of why the author rescued a piece of needlework and what it means to do so.
https://mollybawnchronicles.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-rose-for-rose.html

Time to hit the thrift shops to rescue the lost!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com
© Copyright February 2, 2017 Jane M. Wood. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

LIZ said...

Thank you. Molly's tale is delightful.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

It is, isn't it? Many thanks to C for sending me the link this morning!

molly said...

I'm delighted to be "featured" on your blog Jane. I am in awe of what you needlepointers do. My own drug of choice is quilting and, because I'm a scatterbrain and always attracted to what my husband calls "the next shiny object" (read new project!)I have quite an accumulation of UFOs. I'm sure that never happens to you folks though. My mission this year is to finish as many of them as possible and not to start (this could induce nail-biting anxiety)anything new. Thanks again and happy stitching!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Hi, Molly. Nice to meet you, especially since you are so talented a writer. You put what we needlepointers feel when we spot an abandoned piece into just the right words. As for being attracted to the next shiny bauble, I think all needleworks love the Next New Thing. I know I do. Good luck resisting temptation. It is going to be hard but when you fail --if you do-- remember us needlepointers who are resisting the siren call as best we can but not obsessing when we give in.