|Arlene's Award Winning ScottLee|
"I originally saw Scott Lee on a blog and was intrigued by the complexity of stitches and such, although I admit quite turned off by the colors. When I heard that the pattern was available for purchase, I did buy it, thinking that I could do something about the colors. I read Jean's introduction that she was inspired by a rug in her home and that just clicked with me. The rug under my dining room table is a just a basic floral with a blue background and that became my inspiration.
I just now pulled out my pattern book to confirm what I suspected, which is I only have partial notes. As I went along, I know I changed decisions about threads and colors and never wrote it down. I also found the overall piece a little too "busy" and tried to tone that down both with colors choices and by changing some stitches in the inner parts.
The biggest thing to know is that I originally stitched all the Jessicas (I believe that is 166 of them) in the border in DMC Pearl #8 in 794. As I progressed with the piece and began bringing in more blue in the center, I decided that I was really really unhappy with that blue in the border. Out came all those Jessicas and back in they went with Splendor 1029. I think with four strands? I knew that if I didn't change that blue, I was never going to be happy - a great lesson.
Here's what I can put together: for blues, I used a lot of Splendor 1029, with some 1030, and some DMC 793 for the Perle Cottons as needed. For the tans, it was a lot of Splendor 926, 927, and 928, with DMCs 841, 842, and ecru as needed for some stranded parts and for Perle Cottons. I used some green and rose (I think both DMC, 316 and 367) as highlight colors, as my rug has, but truly kept them to highlights, again finding the original pattern had too much variety of color for me.
I hope this is helpful!"
Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com