Saturday, August 27, 2011

Miko's Background CORRECTED

Miko's Background
So many people have asked about the simple but elegant background stitch for my Leigh pink geisha Fash Insert, that I decided to post about it.  The stitch is called Gobelin Bars with Tent Stitches.  I found it in Ruth Schmuff's Stitches CD Volume One.  (By the way, two of Ruth's three CD stitch collections are out in book form now.  Only the Background volume is only available as a CD at this point.  You can also find Ruth's Stitches Vol. One and Two as apps in the iTunes store.)  I've found the CDs to be a great resource for my stitch guides.  You can see the CDs and books on Ruth's website if your shop doesn't stock them.  For the downloads you have to go to Apple's iTunes store.
http://www.bedeckedandbeadazzled.com/products.php?catid=56&firstcid=6

Ruth very kindly gave me permission to post the stitch diagram for Gobelin Bars with Tent Stitches here.  Thanks, Ruth!  You are a peach!

Gobelin Bars with Tent Stitches, from Stitches CD Volume One, used with Ruth Schmuff's permission
In the photo I have started step one--the straight stitches that make up the bars using two plies of a Gloriana silk floss.  I have not done step two and probably won't.  My thread isn't exactly the same shade of pink as the background, so omitting the tent stitches gives the bars added dimension.  I plan to add a step three later on by putting tiny jade beads around the corners of the bars.

Why did I pick this stitch?  There are two reasons.  First of all, many Asian-themed canvases have a woven pattern in the background to mimic traditional Japanese tatami mats.  So I looked for stitches that created woven patterns.  This particular pattern's bars are about the same size as one of Miko's eyes. That made the scale perfect for this piece.  If the bars were much longer and taller, the pattern would have been too big.  If the bars used fewer stitches and were only one thread high, the stitch might have been too busy.  But this stitch was just right.

Palma and Sharon, this article's for you.

CORRECTION:  Karen pointed out Ruth's Background CD is now a book.  Just in time for those who prefer real books to electronic versions!  Many thanks, Karen.
http://www.bedeckedandbeadazzled.com/details.php?pid=12148&pname=Backgrounds+Volume+1

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

10 comments:

palma said...

Jane, Ruth's 3rd book, Backgrounds is printed. As far as I know it is available from Ruths store. It came out this month

palma said...

Hit the button before having the chance to thank you for this. I love this background and will find a canvas to use it. Great article Jane

NCPat said...

It is the right size and adds elegance! Nice choice!

Goldylox99 said...

You choice of the thread and stitch for the background was the first thing that caught my eye. Simply awesome! And, to have that unique ability to deconstruct a stitch and use only the parts that work for that canvas is fabulous. I am so curious to see how it looks when you add the beads. I love it!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

This is all due to Ruth who gave me permission to publish the diagram and to all the folks who inquired about the background. I can't take credit. All I did was type!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Palma. Karen emailed me right away to point this out so I corrected the original article. What would I do without you guys helping me be 100% right!?!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detail and thanks to Ruth for the stitch diagram! I too like oriental theme canvases and this stitch suggests bamboo cloth but isn't obtrusive.
Off to stitch a sample to use as future reference.......
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I can only agree with all of the above that this stitch is so well chosen for this canvas. Jane's spot-on instinct for great looking stitches strikes again! I have one quick question: when working the stitch, did you stitch all the horizontal bars, then return to stitch all the vertical bars? Or do one of each alternately?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

When I stitched the background, I did all the horizontal bars, skipping two threads between them, in a row. Then I turned the canvas on its side so that Miko faced up or down, and did all the bars I'd skipped. In general, I like stitching straight stitches so that they are in an upright position, not laying on their side. Make sense?

Anonymous said...

Indeed it does make sense, Jane. Thanks for the further instruction. I sure like the looks of the stitch.

Nancy