Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Do Your Beads Run Away?

Do you stab yourself a whole lot when using a long sharp beading needle?  Have you gone blind trying to thread a beading needle?  Have you done more French knots that you thought humanly possible on one piece just so you don't have to open a box or tube of beads?  Which will immediately jump out of said box or tube and fly all over the room?  Do you avoid any piece that requires beads because you just can't stand beading any more?

Ann might have a solution.
http://stitchingfoolishness.blogspot.com/2011/08/in-praise-of-needle.html

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Goldylox99 said...

How funny that you posted this. I just finished some beading that required beads from 5 different Mill Hill containers and 1 bag of beads from the internet. I always refer to those Mill Hill clamshell containers as bead shooters because I can launch beads across the room when opening or closing them. Don't even ask about the occasional jostles or dog that wants to cuddle.

I, too, found the Bohin beading needles to be wonderful. However, I also found that some of the Mill Hill seed beads have openings too small for the Bohin and I was back to working with my Sundance beading needles.

Hoping to get back to my stitching and bead shooters tonight!

palma said...

wow Jane, is that a green that you added to the geisha's background? I already loved that background, now even more. Classy!!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Sharp eyes, Palma. Yes, I added tiny jade green beads to the background to bring out more of her kimono. I did one other touch of green that you can't see yet because it is on the other side of the canvas. It's pretty subtle so you may not be able to see it at all when I reveal the dangles....

Jane, tantalizing from CH

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Bead shooters? ROFLMAO

That is really funny, Judy. And sooooo true!

Carole said...

Hi Jane! I posted a comment on Ann's blog about beading and I thought you might like it. I use a hint from the Sundance Beading Book that really has helped me with my beading. I use a strip of double sided tape (Red Line?) at the very top of my canvas and add my beads to it. They stay very nicely and it so easy to get the little guys on my needle (Bohin of course!). Really changed my attitude about beading. Now I can bead anything that stay still long enough! LOL
Carole

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Excellent tip, Carole! Thanks. We appreciate it. I had no idea Bohin even had beading needles but they are new to one of the shops in my area. I'll look the next time I get there, probably in March.