Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sidewalk Sales July 28, 29, 30

There's a sidewalk sale this weekend in the tiny hamlet of Hingham, Massachusetts.  Every shop in town (all perhaps three blocks of them) is having a sale.  That includes Hingham Square Needlepoint, which promises 75% off some items.  If you are in the Boston area and are up for a ride down 3A, or if you are just exploring the coast of Massachusetts, you won't go wrong if you visit Hingham and hit the sale, then travel to nearby Cohasset for the shops and Hull for the beautiful tiny beaches and the food.
http://hinghamsquareneedlepoint.com/

After all, who can resist a shop whose website says, "Today’s needlepoint is not just about what we see on the canvas but what we can create that goes well beyond the boundaries of what’s painted."

Wish they'd be there when I lived in Hingham!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane,
Every time I look you are tantalizing us with sales:) I have promised not to buy, but I have to look, my eyes roam to owls by Raymond Crawford and think of those lovely new sequins in my stash, yikes! I must resist.......
Love your Pumpkin, your fingers have been rather busy.
Sheena in Hot Humid Cleveland

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Sheena, if you live close enough to visit Hingham, you MUST. I hope the coffee shop across the street is still there. You can sit and sip the beverage of your choice while you watch the sidewalk shoppers. You don't HAVE to cross the street....

Sequins need owls--it's a law of nature.

Thanks for the nice compliment on Smilin' Jack. He's pretty small so I am making good time stitching him.

NCPat said...

Love the new photo and......Deja Moo, the feeling you've heard that bull before! I love that! Wish I had that one when I was working!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Here's the CBK Needlepoint sign that Pat liked as Canvas of the Day. I think it is hilarious!
http://theneedleworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6574&osCsid=qs0s0dtcsqbk37o4fv7adpuqk4

Goldylox99 said...

I'm stitching Deja Moo right now. I found it in Ruth's shop last year, and I just had to have it. I have been in the process of deciding on a border outside the cowprint. I am considering a band of red (possibly red Flair that's gathered by pulling a thread for 2 rows, and then the outer border be Scotch stitch in black and white checkerboard, with each Scotch stitch oversewn with a strap stitch done in Accentuate. Any thoughts or ideas?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Goldy, I think you are on the right track. Have you heard of the Color Through Gold technique? It's based on this book.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Creative-Embroidery-Techniques-Using-Color-through-Gold/Daphne-J-Ashby/e/9781861080875/?itm=1

Basically, you stitch as normal, then you add gold metallic lines on top. Think of a Scotch stitch box with a gold line down the middle from one corner to the opposite one. The Color Thru Gold ladies would likely cover half of the Scotch stitch with gold and leave the rest uncovered. Vary the way the coverage falls and use red Accentuate and you'd have something different and spectacular.

Just an idea. Sounds like you are on the right track to me, though.

Goldylox99 said...

Oooh, how cool, Jane. I'm sashaying my way over to B&N now to look at the book. Thank you!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

My pleasure, Goldy. Don't spend a lot of this book. In my opinion it's just got one idea executed a few different ways. You can work out the permutations on your own. I'll see if I can work up a demo of using gold thru color on Scotch stitches for later this week....

Front Range Stitcher said...

Hmmmm, Hingham. I'm thinking ROAD TRIP!