Monday, July 25, 2011

Achieving More Halloween Elegance

I've added a second photo of part of the Lee tote bag insert I'm working for Leigh Designs to the background of Blog this morning.  I'm sure you have heard over and over again that simple is elegant.  Don't over-accessorize.  Keep it simple.  Etc.

Some painted canvases call for over-the-top elements.  Some need a cleaner and more streamlined approach.  Smilin' Jack is one of the latter designs since it's a small canvas and is supposed to have a short stitch guide.  So how do I do this?  How do you "style" a small pumpkin canvas in an elegant manner that will look sophisticated because it is simple?

I decided that I would use the same stitch for all the leaves.  Only the color and the orientation of the stitch changes.  Simple but elegant.

Of course this is just step one of the leaves....

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

9 comments:

palma said...

"Of course this is just step one of the leaves...."

Of course :)

Really looks nice Jane. Simple yet rich and elegant

Anonymous said...

I cant wait for you to finish. I have a lee bag that would fit in. Hurry, Hurry.( just kidding)

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Watson, you and I need to have a serious talk. Pat and Anon both want Smilin' Jack, the canvas I've been working on. It is your job to guard it with your life. I expect barking, jumping up and down, and growling if they approach Chilly Hollow. Look for two women in all black, sneaking up the driveway....

NCPat said...

Here, Watson, come on boy! I have doggy treats!

NCPat said...

And, I love the Calla lily!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Pat, offering treats to Watson might have been a mistake.

[Watson gallops past, heading straight for Pat whom he outweighs. Oops! There goes Pat, trampled by the baby moose!]

Sorry, Pat. I'm sure he didn't mean to lick you all over or eat your pocketbook. Or your tires.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

The Alice Peterson calla lily is 40% off, Pat!

http://www.needlenookoflajolla.com/storedir/proddetail.php?prod=1856&cat=105

NCPat said...

LOL, he knocks me down! He must be getting huge!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Watson is GIGANTIC. At 8 months he already outweighs our other dog and our previous Great Pyrenees. He's going to be huge. Looks like a baby moose to me--all long legs and big feet.