Monday, June 6, 2011

Because Vicky Asked....

Recently Vicky posted this in the comments, "Congratulations on the numbers is right! why don't you tell us all some day how many years you have been Chilly Hollow blog and what inspired you to start blogging, as you started it way before everybody else... "

So I dug out the archives to find my first official blog postings are dated August 14, 2005.  I was curious about the possibilities of blogging and had a little free time to play with the computer here and there that year.   I have to admit, though, that I didn't post again until January 31, 2006 as I was experimenting with various blogging tools and deciding if I really wanted to commit to a blog.  Starting in January of 2006 I posted fairly regularly--usually 4-5 times a week.  And I've kept it up with only a few breaks for vacation, sick days, power outages and the like.

Blog was at Yahoo until mid-2009 when Yahoo essentially closed down their blogging system.  I knew it was coming so I'd started simultaneously posting at Blogger earlier that year and Blog moved exclusively to Google's Blogger in July of 2009.

As to why I started blogging, I've always been a writer but earlier in my life I wrote letters.  When I discovered the ANG email list around 1999 when my husband gave me his castoff work computer, I wrote messages about needlepoint there a lot.  You could say I'm a blabbermouth!  I'm endlessly fascinated with needlepoint and want to use my writing skills to promote it, particularly painted canvases which are my first love.  Being able to do it on a computer (they've always fascinated me) is just a bonus since I am not close to other needlepointers, local guild chapters or even shops.  The Internet is how I connect with folks who are interested in the same things I am.

I continue to explore the social and educational online experience, having played around with Facebook some over the last 6 months or so.  But blogging works best with my personal style, so I doubt I'll do much with Facebook or Twitter.

Hope that answered your questions.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fortunate indeed for the needlepoint community the day you began posting first to the ANG e-mail list and then blogging. Your sharing of needlepoint tips, resources, ideas and encouragement can hardly be overestimated. I know I've learned ever so much as I've been following you all these years.

Nancy