Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Let's Talk Hair Some More

I planned to reveal Red Geisha's hair this weekend but I ran out of one of the threads I'm using and my replacement skein won't be here until next week, so I am going to be working on Luna's cloak instead. (Remember Luna from the Ladies of the Night series?  I've got miles of cloak lining to stitch for her.)  You'll have to wait another week or so to see the geisha's wig.  Sorry!

So why don't we talk about needlepoint hair in general?  Do you have a favorite hair treatment you use over and over again?  Do you have a link to an online photo of great hair you want to send me?  Are you working on a canvas right now (or plan to work on one) with hair that has you stumped?  Tell All!

Use the comments section below this article to send links, to ask questions about hair, to brag, to show off great needlepointed hair, anything you like.  It just has to be about stitching hair.  If the Comments don't work for you, not to worry.  You can email me directly at chilly hollow athotmail dotcom and I'll post your comments here for you.  Let me start with a link to a couple of great hair treatments--

A smooth Grecian style, probably satin stitches over padding.  This was stitched by Amy Bunger and I think she has a stitch guide written for it.
http://www.needlepoint.org/WhatIs/2001/ebony.php

This is masterful hair, stitched by Mary Santosstefano under Susan Portra's direction.  I think it is stem stitches in silk, carefully laid with very close attention to how hair actually flows.
http://www.needlepoint.org/WhatIs/2001/the_bird_lady.php

This hair is totally unrealistic but beautifully braided and perfect for this design.  The stitch guide for this piece was written by David McCaskill and the piece was stitched by Brenda Ramsdell.
http://www.needlepoint.org/WhatIs/2007/images/505np-21.jpg

Only a tiny bit of hair shows here but it was very carefully planned to complement the fancy fur trimmed hat.  Stitched by Pam Pabst.
http://www.needlepoint.org/WhatIs/2005/images/4003P.jpg

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

8 comments:

ChitownStitcher said...

I have used outline/stem stitch on hair before with somewhat successful results. The hair was parted in the middle and from the part going left, it looked very good. However from the part going right, I could never get the same smooth flow. It felt like I was doing that side with the wrong hand or something. Any tips?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, when I have trouble it's usually because of the angle I am reaching over the canvas at. Could you have turned the canvas on its side and been able to reach to stitch the hair better another way? Or would sketching out the hair directional flow on paper helped you achieve a smoother look? Or maybe both things? When I have this happen, it's generally because it is harder to reach one side than the other and that messes up the flow lines. I usually rip out the side, use paper and pencil to figure out the best curves and lines, then restitch it. But sometimes it is just not possible to make both halves of hair look equally good. (Hint: This is why you might see a big bow or hat or hair ornament on top of some heads I've stitched. LOL)

NCPat said...

I have hair to do on Wild Woman, but am not stumped yet..I think I know how I am going to do hers!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I am very curious about how you are going to do her spiky purple hair. Anyone ever put hair gel on NP?

Jane, exits snickering but curious

ChitownStitcher said...

Jane, it has always been on small ornaments so the reach isn't the problem. I think it is because I feel like I am going backwards when I do the opposite side. I tried turning it upside down and going from the bottom to the top, but that didn't work either. If it comes up again, and I am sure it will, I will try drawing it out to see if that helps.

Pat for wild woman's hair you may find some funky threads at a knitting shop. I am curious to see how you finish her.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, if your hair issue was on a small piece, then perhaps a sketch would help. You can pencil in flow lines, erase them, try again, etc., until you are happy with the result. You could also try setting up a mirror, one of those little square pocket mirrors, on top of your piece so that you can see and copy the side you like onto the side that is giving you trouble. The image will be reversed so that you can copy the side you like onto the other side. But you have to have the brain that can copy what it sees. I know some folks have a lot of trouble with this.

Anyway, it's another technique I thought of when trying to figure out two sides of hair.

NCPat said...

Hair gel on npt?! LOL...you must have read my mind! No wait, there is not that much left!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Not to worry. Blog readers can supply hair gel from all over if you need more....