Monday, February 21, 2011

Unavoidable Delay

I had planned to test hair stitches on Sunday so I'd know that what I wanted to use there would work with the cloak lining stitches before I spent too much more time stitching the lining.  It would be a shame to finish the lining and then discover the hair stitches didn't look good with them.  Since I already know as many swear words as I need to, it's best to test everything in this area before committing to anything.  Besides, I don't like ripping out!

Unfortunately, the power was out for three hours on Sunday and all my stitching plans went out the window as it was a very overcast day.  By the time the power came back on, I was worn out from running up and down the stairs to tend to the wood fire (no electricity equals no heat) and by keeping a close eye on the kerosene and propane lamps so that Watson the Rambunctious and Curious Puppy didn't knock them over and start a fire.

But Mother Nature, after having knocked down trees and power lines with high winds over the weekend, is planning stitch time for tomorrow since she will dump 4-6 inches of snow in Chilly Hollow overnight.  So today I'll run around and prepare by restocking the bottled water we used yesterday (puppies drink a LOT of water!) and getting sunflower seed.  I'm running low and dare not run out.  I've seen Hitchcock's The Birds....

Today I recover from one weather event and prepare for the next weather event.  Tomorrow I stitch!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Rachel said...

It's your tales from Chilly Hollow that remind me that I really do live in a temperate climate!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thank you, Rachel. But I live in Virginia. I thought this was The South until I moved here and had the worst blizzards of any place I lived, and that includes Upstate New York, home of snowstorms right off the Canadian border!

Anne Bloom said...

My son is in school in Charlottesville. Is he close enough to to get your weather?

NCPat said...

Oh, my! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Anne, probably not. It is a good 6-7 hour drive SE to Charlottesville from here. Plus the Blue Ridge Mountains which are very close to me, send storms either to the east of us (toward D.C. and central VA and on to Maryland) or north of us. This one is going north so we'll get maybe 4-5 inches while 45 minutes NW of us will get 8-10 inches.

Usually our weather is very different from D.C.'s (which is about 2 hours away) and certainly very different from your son's. Besides, we are very rural. That's why we have power outages, unplowed roads, many areas where cell phones down't work, etc. Urban areas have cleanup crews, here we have to take care of things ourselves.

It's maybe 65 miles to the White House from here (and a good 2 hour drive) but we are still quite rural, especially with that mountain range between us and Civilization.