Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Luna Mystery

Cloak Stitches?
Last night I did some test stitching, trying out threads and colors and stitches that I will use for the inside of Luna's cloak.  I'm not going to tell you which stitch I choose, I'm going to let you try and figure that out yourself.  Above are three of the four stitches I thought might work.   In the photo above I'm using various weights of Planet Earth's 6 Ply Silk.

All the stitches I tried out are Tony Minieri's from his Stitch of the Month project for 2009.  What you see above are (from left to right) June, September and July  I ran out of time before looking at March, so it isn't shown above.
http://www.needlepoint.org/Stitch.php

Which one would you use for the cloak's lining and why?

There's a new blog on my Blog List this morning.  Vicky DeAngelis, who is a superb stitcher, has started posting about her work.  You are going to have fun watching what she does with her stitching and with her blog.
http://mostlyneedlepoint.com/02/19/rainbow-birds/

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

6 comments:

biddie1031 said...

Hi Jane,

I would choose the stitch on the right because it has a silky, slinky aspect to it - rather like Luna, her bewitching self!

AND, the stitch on the left is interesting because it would give add shine that would emphasize the flow of the cloak. This is the (happy) problem with needlepoint . . . too many good choices!

Ah ha! I just figured out that much of what I thought was cloak is actually her l-o-n-g black hair.

I do have a question about Luna's left arm/hand. Why does the color of her arm change so abruptly at the wrist? On my small laptop, it's often difficult to distinguish what's been painted.

Thanks, as always, for your wonderful blog. I learn something new and useful every day!!

Meg van den Berg
(Yes, I am still working on the Asian Sampler. Life has gotten in the way of daily stitching. Promise to send an update soon.)

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Meg, the arm color doesn't change very much in real life but there is a shading difference in color where the bottom of her arms are in shadow. That's the problem with using photos to show canvases. You never know what the person on the other end of the Internet will see!

Glad to hear you are working away on the Asian sampler. I love that pattern and can't wait to see what you do with it!

Erica said...

If I had to guess which stitch you chose, I'd guess the July stitch (on the far right) - to my (inexperienced) eyes it looks like it would match the sweep of her dress and flow with it.

But what do I know anyway? Can't wait to hear what you did choose! :-)

NCPat said...

I would also choose the far right stitch because it gives the appearance of flowing more than the other two....now did we guress what you chose? And, thanks for the new blog!

Palma said...

I like the one on the right (my right, looking at the computer). As Mr. Spock would say "It seems logical" :)

Peggi said...

My guess would be the stitch on the right because it has a more fluid look. However, if you are going for a quilted look the others might work. Can't wait to see your choice.