|Embellishing the Parrot Head|
Today's progress report shows the parrot head all decorated up!
This was really much easier than I expected. I simply referred to my sketch plan to carefully continue the two stitches used on the body of the bird. It is hard to do a straight line on top of a smooth fabric but I went slowly and carefully and did pull out lines that were too crooked. Since I was using a small sharp beading needle and one ply of silk, I could remove stitches easily without leaving holes one could see in the Ultrasuede.
If you look carefully at the photo, you'll see that the embroidery on top of the parrot's head is done in two colors of silk--hot pink for the 3/4 wide diamond stitches and the diamond ray stitches inside the first stitch, then dark grape for the diamond ray stitches alone between motifs.
I discovered scattered hot pink stitches looked too busy but when I pulled them out, I felt something needed to be in the empty spaces. So I used thread almost the same color as the Ultrasuede to stitch the single diamond rays. This gave me texture where I wanted it but didn't make the stitching too busy.
You can also add texture by scattering tiny French knots or beads, but I wanted something even simpler and subtler.
For those who wondered, yes, I also did more tent stitching in the background last night. I am trying to surround the wings at least as I am going to start on the feathery parts and I don't want to disturb the stitching along the wings with tent stitching.
Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow