Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Calling All Thread Detectives

Remember when I talked about the new High Cotton five-ply floss from Hyla Hurley?  I did a review on Blog here.
http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com/2010/10/thread-review-high-cotton.html

Two different sources have told me they think the thread is rather matte (like Needle Necessities' Madras was)  but I thought it had more sheen to it than regular DMC cotton floss, both in the skeins and especially when stitched in long stitches.  In tent stitches it does look matte, or at least not any different than using DMC or Anchor floss in tent stitches.

I'm wondering if it was just the color I used (pale lavender), or if I am losing my mind. (There is heavy betting action on the latter.  LOL)  I am going to test stitch with other colors when I have time but for now, I'd love to hear from folks who have stitched with this thread about what they think.

I'll update the earlier review with a note about the matte/shiny decisions we all came to once I have more input.  So, what's your opinion?

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

palma said...

Love the colors and the shine, can't wait to give it a try. Wish it was available already. I really like the appearance when you lay it horizontally and anchor it. Interesting that you mentioned it has more shine than Splendor even though it is cotton and Splendor is silk. It should be the perfect thread for areas where you just want a bit of shine but not too much. By the way, the acquas look awesome

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Palma, High Cotton is already available, just not widely. Waste Knot in Arlington, VA is said to have it already. I don't know about other shops, though. Splendor, although silk, doesn't have the shine of flat silks. It is shiny, yes, but not that shiny. High Cotton in long stitches is pretty much like Splendor as far as I can tell in my limited test stitching.

Kelly said...

I saw it for the first time on Tuesday night. The NEW LNS in Richmond, VA - The Stitching Studio is carrying it. The colors are fabulous and there are LOTS of colors. I haven't stitched with it yet, but I have seen a sample of it in basketweave. She used a rusty, reddish color. It definitely reminds me of Splendor. Very clear colors and nice coverage. Slight sheen but not really shiny. I haven't seen it in any form other than basketweave. It might present differently in long stitches and decorative stitches.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Kelly, thanks for the update. I am eager to try this myself on the next project.