Thursday, August 19, 2010

Break for the Beauty Shop: Part Three


Reposting of April 8, 2006 article:

Half an hour later I have my Soy Luster untangled and on little paper cards. I scanned a picture of Witching Hour so you could see how beautiful and perfect for the geisha it is. All that grey looks just like jet black hair going grey. I also scanned a sketch of how I have started stitching her hair. It's proof I'm no artist but visual aids always help, even rough ones. See the center circle? With one strand of the Soy Luster I've stitched / lines starting at the bottom and going clockwise around the circle twice. I know there's a name for this stitch or something similar but I'm on a roll here. No time to look it up. Gotta post when I'm inspired and have computer access!

[This is a round Rhodes stitch. I looked it up!]

Next, still with one strand in the needle, I've stitched some lines across her hair for padding, ignoring where the hair sticks and that purple ribbon stuff are. I plan to stitch long stitches across and perpendicular to the padding to make her hair. I think I'll leave a space where the fat gold horizontal hair sticks are since those will sink a bit into the hair but otherwise, I'll just cover everything up and then add them back in on top of the stitched hair. I have plenty of pictures in Blog showing where these were painted for reference.


I will put a closeup of her hair as the main picture but you really can't see much, just that I've covered one side of the purple ribbon. But take my word for it, in person this is looking good!  [Note the photo mentioned isn't available but I found one that shows the Round Rhodes and the lower area's padding covered.]

Off to stitch now. Thanks for all the voodoo you've been doing. Witching Hour is behaving itself very nicely.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

3 comments:

Robin said...

Jane, your new Cha-Cha banner is beautiful. Great job! It has been a fun flight.

Peggi said...

I didn't even have a computer when you originally stitched this, and always wondered what fiber you used. Witching Hour is a great color, and something I've been searching for in a fiber - thanks!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks for the compliment on Cha, Robin. It means a lot knowing you like it given how well you have used ribbons on your pieces!

Peggi, always glad to help out. I like Soy Fiber a lot for hair. It has the right texture for it if you want a slightly coarse look and some shine. Great thread! A shop here has started carrying the line and I picked up some more when I hit the shops in July.