Sunday, June 27, 2010

Trim and Other New Things

I updated the Stitch Guides blog with a brief article on Orna Willis, who is just starting to design painted canvases with a stitch guide, and with a description of Pegge Hopper's Hawaiian women series, some of which come with stitch guides.  (One of Pegge's pieces for Needlepoint Etc. in Honolulu is the Canvas of the Day today.)  You can visit Stitch Guides by clicking on the tab above, by clicking on the Magic Carpet photo near the blog list on this page, or by going here.
http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com/

Mary Corbet's blog mentioned a brand new product yesterday, a corded metallic trim called Soft Metallic Twist.  She has great close up photos of the colors available.
http://www.needlenthread.com/2010/06/soft-metallic-twist-trim.html/comment-page-1#comment-37988

Because Mary doesn't say how much trim is in a package and I can't see the manufacturer name in her photo, I did a little Googling and found that Alex Parras Needle Arts sells this stuff.  It comes in two diameters and there is a meter in each package, i.e., roughly a yard.
http://store.apneedlearts.com/mesotwco1me.html

You can buy it in larger quantities here from this Canadian site.  At least I think this is the same thing.  I know nothing about the Canadian shop,  but Alex Parras Needle Arts is the Internet presence of Thistle Needleworks in Connecticut.  I highly recommend their shop's selection of goods and their customer service.
http://www.pandgenterprises.com/metal%20threads.htm

Finally, let's go visit Nimble Needle's blog and see how a customer, faced with a gift canvas with elements she didn't particularly care for, customized it to suit her own tastes.  I think it turned out great! If you are in the same boat, why not try similar techniques yourself?
http://thenimbleneedle.blogspot.com/2010/06/curls-and-then-some.html

Jane, standing on the edge of the swimming pool and screaming, "Jump, jump, jump!" to the stitchers standing on the edge wondering if there are sharks.  No NP police, no sharks, I promise.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

9 comments:

Erica said...

I think I heard you telling me to jump. On Friday I purchased my first painted canvas. It's from Lee's Needlearts - one of their petite kimono's. It's only 3" by 3.5", but I really, really like it.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Way to go, Erica! I'm sure you will figure it out. Those little designs are great fun. Let us know how it goes or if you need an idea or two....

NCPat said...

Yippee! Another convert!

Robin said...

Welcome to the Sisterhood, Erica. Hugs, Robin

Marilyn, San Francisco said...

Please could you add the 'last posting' for Stitchpography? It is so helpful when dropping in for a quick browse to know when a blog was last activated.
I enjoy your site with my first cup of tea of the day. It starts me off on the right foot for the day ... yes, I am retired so I do have some leisure time, and your blog list is the best!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Do you mean Barbara Elmore's blog? I think I had trouble getting it to work properly the last time I tried. Not every site uses RSS feeds that Blogger picks up well. But I will try again.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Marilyn, I get a message that there is no feed when I added Barbara's blog to the list. The site is on the list but blogger says there won't be any updates. Sorry.
Jane

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Marilyn, Stitchpography has a new listing and as you can see, even though it's on the blog list, there is no update This probably has something to do with how the blog was set up. There are several items on my blog list that never appear for just this reason, and I can't do anything about it. I recommend you bookmark Stitchpography and just check every week or so. Barbara doesn't post often but her musings are always fascinating.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Marilyn, I think I got Stitchpography fixed! HURRAH! Well, it posted a new link just now. We'll see if the feed continues to work....

Keep your fingers crossed that the technical issues don't come back.