Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Whimsey Mermaid


As I said yesterday, the Cape Cod Dogs purse turned out great.  My husband likes it so much that he wants a purse done for the granddaughter's birthday....which is in a month.  [a brief pause while Jane runs around her living room, screaming and pulling her hair]

So I picked up a purse from the local crafts emporium yesterday.  There's a pocket on the front, about the right size for a cell phone, that I will adorn with a NP canvas.


This canvas, in fact.  This is a mermaid from the Seaside Whimsey series by Melissa Shirley.  Luckily I had it in my stash already.  Here is the rest of the series.
http://melissashirleydesigns.com/gallery/?index=753&cat=66


The pocket on the purse is around four and a half to four and three-quarter inches square and the little mermaid herself is about three and a half inches square.  So I marked out the area I need to stitch beyond the mermaid to completely cover the pocket. That is the blue corner markings you see above.  Last night I stitched her skin and features except for her eyes.  I think I'll work on the background next.  After all, I only have about two weeks to complete this and get it on the purse and pop it in the mail.  [More screaming from CH, and a few swear words, too!]

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

8 comments:

Robin said...

What a charming gift. Love the canvas tote. Jane, you certainly have a wonderful Stash. I'll keep this message short so you can get back to stitching.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Robin. I feel that I should have a team working on this 24/7 until it is done but it is pretty small. Already half the background plus border is done. Progress reports tomorrow!

Missy Gray said...

Jane,
The granddaughter is very lucky. Cannot wait to see your progress. Now, enough blogging -- back to stitching. You're on a deadline. (In light of which, I won't ask whether you are going to encrust the mermaid tail with beads!)

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Missy, you are a mind reader. Yes, the mermaid's tail is going to be beaded. Stitch faster, Jane! Beads take a loooong time!

Unknown said...

Jane,
I have a needlepoint design that I have been mulling over how to attach to the outside of a pocket on a bag. I'm hoping you will be able to show us how you attach the mermaid and I can stitch along with you.
You are such an inspiration.

NCPat said...

But it will be worth it! Such a cute canvas and she is going to be the belle of the ball carrying this bag!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I hope so, Pat. It is hard to pick presents for kids. They change so fast!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

SFSunset, I plan to edge the margin with clear drying Tacky Glue, then cut out the canvas and then glue it to the front of the purse. The purse itself is a hard canvas, not easy to sew into, or I would whip stitch the canvas into position. Whip stitching is how I attached Cape Cod Dogs after turning the edges under and sewing them so that they would stay turned under. The starfish charms in the corners are to hide the fact that the corners edges were not as perfect as the sides. Trim hides lots of finishing mistakes!