Monday, March 1, 2010

Sketching Elmer the Candy Cane Dog


I'd appreciate it if you would hold the snickering down this morning as you look at my sketch of the candy cane dog stocking from Kirk & Hamilton I am about to start working on.

Yesterday after making a color and then a black and white copy of my canvas, I put the copies and my original away and sketched what I remembered of the design.  I do this to help remember what's going on in a design that is important to me.  Compare the sketch to the photo of this design--

You can see that I didn't miss much in my sketch but then this is a pretty simple design.  The central image of the stocking is the dog and his candy cane.  The secondary bits are the snowflake stocking top and the toe.  I will make sure I emphasize these three areas as I stitch.  I totally missed the fact that the dog has a Santa stocking cap and ignored the snowflakes in the blue "sky" behind him.  These will be less important in my interpretation of this design.

I find sketches like these very useful in picking out the important parts of a design and also in discovering what is less important.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

1 comment:

NCPat said...

This is a great idea, and we are not laughing...especially since if I had done the drawing there would probably only be sort of a stocking looking thing!